Microlearning is an interesting approach adopted for skill-based learning that is fast moving in the mainstream. Though it is compact, it does not refer to quick learning bytes. It is directed at providing the correct amount of information to a learner to achieve their learning goals.
Corporate companies are fast catching up with microlearning trends. The top 5industries adopted microlearning in their workplaces are:
1. Bloomingdale: The furniture and house items superstore wanted to incorporate safety practices among its worldwide employees of 10,000+. They preferred training sessions of no more than 5 minutes on measures like using ladders, cleaning broken glass, using box cutters, etc. an employee is free to undergo a session via tablets or POS systems. This was again a huge success with a 41% decrease in safety accidents.
2. At Home: This home décor retail chain was desperately looking for a complete employee training. Microlearning programs in a game-like version were implemented in training, onboarding, customer service and at leadership training level.
More than 3000 employees receive short sessions of individual training each day. As in the earlier examples, areas for improvement are suggested. This approach has led to a 36% decrease in incidents regarding lack of safety.
3. Walmart: The international retail chain of supermarkets, grocery stores, and department stores operate across multiple countries and safety (accidents and workplace injuries) has always been a challenge for them. The company wanted to have a safety approach to minimize accidents and injuries and the related expenditure.
They collaborated with an eLearning supplier to incorporate Axonify a microlearning program that enhances employee knowledge with respect to safety and keeps it at the foremost in their minds. Here, the employees will engage in a game scenario for 3-5 minutes which also blends learning about safety practices.
The game-like environment calls for competition with colleagues and when employees’ performance data on safety is fed into the program, the training is adjusted individually for each employee. The program has been immensely successful with a 54% reduction in accidents resulting in revenue saving millions.
4. IHG: The InterContinental Hotels Group was in need of a training that would keep them abreast with the growing number of customers and their concerns. They have limited the traditional classroom training and started specific microlearning supplier sessions for everyone and made accessible from any device.
The bite-sized training, as it is called, was gladly welcomed by all within a span of 2 days. Onboarding time has come down to 2 weeks from 5 weeks and employees are faring better in the assessment
5. Magellan Health: This NASDAQ listed, managed healthcare company, and could record only 80 employees among 6,900, who actually spent time on the official learning platform, in a whole year.
A supplier comprehensive microlearning library was implemented to show high impact results with 80% of the employees taking part in the sessions. In fact, employees are participating in more training sessions than required – which speaks volumes about the level of engagement.
Want to create such meaningful impact via micro learning, Custom eLearning Solutions for your organization? Call us on +91 40 6634 0090 / 91 (or) write to us email@example.com.